Friday 25 February 2011

remarkable love story

The more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love. 

Jane Austen

Jane Austen, love story and happy ending. She made some beautiful stories. I bet you know the famous one, Pride and Prejudice, or Sense and Sensibility, or Emma, or Persuasion, and more. On Becoming Jane, Jane Austen (played by Anne Hathaway) says “My characters shall have, after a little trouble, all that they desire”. If you read or watched Pride and Prejudice, or Sense and Sensibility, all the characters are eventually end up together with the men they loved, live happily ever after. I haven’t got a chance to finish Pride and Prejudice novel, but the movie tells much.

I watched Becoming Jane today for the third time. I laughed, I cried, and sighed at the same scene (last scene where Jane met another Jane, daughter of Tom Lefroy). Watching a remarkable love story of Jane Austen and Tom Lefroy, gives an agony and contentment at the same time. She loved the man. She believed that affection is a must in every relationship, but she gave up her love, because she cared too much with his family, his life. She died at 41, unmarried. What about Tom Lefroy? He eventually married with Mary Paul, but he named his eldest daughter Jane Christmas Lefroy. Thoughts? After Jane Austen? Well yes according to Becoming Jane. The truth? Nobody knows.

Again, nobody knows exactly how much she was in love with him, but according to her letter to her sister, Cassandra (who also remained unmarried), we can tell that there’s something between them.

"At length the Day is come on which I am to flirt my last with Tom Lefroy, & when you receive this it will be over--My tears flow as I write, at the melancholy idea."

letter to Cassandra
January 15, 1796 [2]

You can read the rests here

Jane Austen began to write First Impression (later Pride and Prejudice) after she met Tom Lefroy, some believe the main characters, Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy reflect Jane Austen and Tom Lefroy, their stories, how they met, but she gave Elizabeth her truly desire, Mr. Darcy.

My point is there’s always a reason behind an action, Jane Austen and Tom Lefroy didn’t end up together, but it’s for their own good, I suppose. If (I said IF) they ended up together, maybe (I also said MAYBE) we will never get a chance to read her amazing novels. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment